Anyone who is into DIY home projects knows that there are many different types of wood available at timber yards. When looking through the available woods, they may pass over particle board and go for more expensive woods. This can be a major mistake, as particle board offers a variety of benefits for home projects.
Advantages Of Particle Board
When going to a timber yard and asking for particle board, it is important to understand why this unique board is made and how it can be useful. Particle board is literally built out of small particles of wood glued together. While this does create the small disadvantage of making it prone to water swelling, it does have many other benefits, including:
- Price – Particle board costs a lot less than most types of timber, making it a great choice for a variety of fun home projects.
- Easy to find – Particle board is very common in most timber yards. It also comes in many different thicknesses, lengths, and widths.
- Very strong – Buying fine particle board is a great investment because it is very dense, strong, and durable for a variety of different projects.
- Environmentally sound – As particle board is made from scraps of other pieces of lumber, it is very environmentally healthy. It also doesn't use formaldehyde in its production.
These many benefits make particle board the kind of wood that doesn't stay in timber yards for very long. While it's not a good choice for more serious building projects, it can still be used for many DIY home projects. In this way, it is possible to create inexpensive and durable items that still look great.
Particle Board Projects To Try
Just a few fun home projects which can be built with particle board from a timber yard include:
- Counter tops
- Storage racks
- Toys and board games for children
- Dart boards
- TV stands
How To Stylize Particle Board
One thing that may take some people aback about particle board is cutting and styling it. It can create high amounts of sawdust, so it is important to wear safety masks and goggles when cutting. It is also crucial to mark the cut first and adjust the blade height of a table saw so that it is only half the thickness of the board. In this way, it is possible to create clean cuts by cutting one half, flipping it over, and then cutting through the other.
After measuring and cutting the particle board properly, it is a good idea to stain it. Particle board is a rather bland wood without staining, so applying one or two coats can make it look great. Each piece of the project should be stained before attaching them, as this will ensure that all the sides are properly covered. At this point, the project should look pretty great. For more information, contact a business such as H & H Timber Company INC.Share